Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla

From: John A Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 20:43:39 -0600

Talli Somekh wrote:
I don't know where this myth that windows will never be supported by GNU arch comes from. Everyone wants it to happen and it will happen. It's just a question of how to do it without compromising the quality of the product.

Well, speaking as someone who is actively using tla on windows, and working hard to make it run better, I can very safely say that tla *will* run on windows. Now, my personal itch is to get it to run along with cygwin, since that is a little easier to do, and I have long used cygwin, because it's a good tool. Since tla is command-line only right now, it seems reasonable that cygwin isn't a big overhead.

Getting a truly native version is probably a little more difficult, as tla uses the raw open()/close(), not the libc fopen(), fclose(), etc. I believe in win32 these are called _open(), and _close(). But really for windows what you want is a gui.

I know there is a goal of getting tla broken up into a library and a cmd-line wrapper, which would make it much easier to create a gui out of it. (Right now the wrappers all depend on forking a tla sub-process to get work done.)

From the comments in this thread, seems darcs is a really great tool that many people enjoy using and GNU arch has a lot to learn from it. Further, it's implementation may have made it much easier to support windows faster. But by that design, it appears to be a limited tool not well suited to complex deployments. That may or may not change.

GNU arch was designed and has been implemented in such situations. Compromising it's effectiveness in this regard to support Windows ain't such a hot prospect for anyone in this community so the effort isn't being taken lightly.

So, anyway, thanks for the wager, see ya at the finish line.

talli

actually, darcs looks like it might be quite nice to use as well. I look forward to seeing what it turns into. I really wonder why patch-signing would be difficult to incorporate into the system. In tla, we just added a file that said "here's the signature" and run a user-specified program (gpg) to sign it, and another user specified program (wrapper around gpg) to check the signature.

I can't say why this would be hard with darcs. Though I know last I checked they didn't have pre/post commit hooks, or other such goodies which also let you nice things.

I think keeping an archive of emails just so you can get signatures is pretty silly, since that means you have to email yourself every time you do a commit.

John
=:->