Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla

From: Adrian Irving-Beer
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:40:19 -0500

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 03:02:57PM -0600, John A Meinel wrote:

> hackerlab creates a temporary executable to generate an output file
> and then deletes it. But on cygwin/windows the file ends with a
> .exe, so rm cannot find it to delete it.

I know there is no 'gcc contract', but doesn't saying 'ld -o foo' or
'gcc -o foo' and getting foo.exe (a) violate the expectation of using
-o, and (b) break almost every other Makefile out there?

Not saying it's not a problem.  Just confuses me why Cygwin would do
this.  As I recall, all their system executables end in .exe too,
although you call them without like in Unix.

Does Windows literally only run files with a .exe extension?  I haven't
used Cygwin or Windows in years.