Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla

From: John A Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: darcs vs tla
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:27:25 -0600

Robert Collins wrote:
On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 17:58 -0500, Adrian Irving-Beer wrote:

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 09:22:57AM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:

It has an X bit. And the system can run any arbitrarily named file.

So are executables given an .exe extension so you can run them
outside Cygwin?

Yes, and for consistency : cygwin doesn't try to make windows into unix,
just to bring unix tools and capabilities to windows.

Or is this a historical Win95 issue (which didn't
have ACLs, IIRC)?

Right, FAT has no acls. Indeed, win95 doesn't even have an isolated
kernel.

Rob

Actually, it is also nice that cmd.exe has ls.exe available (if you put it in your path). It also means that my windows Python program (not cygwin) can still access gpg.exe if it wants. Etc. It lets non cygwin tools still use the cygwin tools (as long as they are careful about paths, etc). I actually have my editor setup (windows prog) to run pdflatex, and then run acrobat reader to display the results. Without the .exe suffixes there wouldn't be any interoperability.

John
=:->