[Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] Rethinking add, delete and move commands

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] Rethinking add, delete and move commands
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 00:45:51 +0000

On 07 Feb 2005 16:58:47 -0500, Adrian Irving-Beer wrote:

> I tend to agree here.  Both "delete" and "move" without the -id suffix
> say, to me, you're deleting or moving the argument that follows.
>
> Since the argument that follows is a file, it's counterintuitive (again,
> to me) that you're deleting or moving the ID, not the file.
>
> "add" is personally unambiguous since there's essentially no
> difference between 'adding a file' and 'adding an ID to a file'.

Actually, I find the current "delete" command pretty useful and making
sense, since I use the default tagging method, "explicit/precious".

However, I do realize that it may sound unusual for cvs/svn users to
move or delete the id only. It may be better to do what they are used to.
The command list thus may be fully compatible with svn (and baz mockup):

  add
  delete     (aliases: del, remove, rm)
  move       (aliases: mv, rename, ren)
  delete-id
  move-id

I.e. this involves changing the current "delete" and "move" aliases so
that they work on the local file too.

However, if this happens, then "delete" should refuse to remove the
changed file by default. And "move" should refuse to clobber by default.

Regards,
Mikhael.