Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO

From: Zlatan Todoric
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 13:33:50 +0100

On 11/10/2016 12:13 PM, Jaromil wrote:

dear Ivan,

On Wed, 09 Nov 2016, Ivan Zaigralin wrote:

Zlatan, you should probably try to get this sorted out through the
official channels, and cite the Trisquel's supported laptop list as
an example.
it can't get "more official" than this, really. up to now Zlatan has
been negating most answers coming from the professionals who are
volunteering to share an analysis here and this strategy definitely
doesn't helps, nor will help looking for "other more official
channels".

I am neglecting answers which want to steer company's business decisions and water discussion into hardware and not to OS certification. And personally, I don't steer your anti-systemd Devuan creation so I don't see the point of you trying to deny PureOS from list of endorsed distributions because our company chooses to use it as pre-installed medium on our hardware - PureOS is certainly not less Free than gNewSense for example.

what we can do is keep the traffic low and wait for official responses
from GNU members like Hellekin's. I am not sure RMS needs to focus on
this, but he also chimes in here at times, if that makes everyone feel
better perhaps it should happen.

Now to respond to a recently raised concern about Trisquel's list of
supported hardware, I believe this is different from offering a
*medium of distribution*. While Trisquel uses ISO files and CD/DVD
supports as mediums of distribution, Puri.sm does offer a
pre-installed Laptop PC as medium of distribution which contains
non-free software. Listing supported hardware is different and again
there is h-node.org for that.

So if we choose to offer Trisquel preinstalled on our hardware, it would kick out Trisquel from FSF endorsed distros? Purism is a company, PureOS is operating system that made entirely out of Free software and made by paid contributors as well as volunteers. Purism is good enough to host it on their resources. You're free to volunteer as well and try to make it better - but do not expect me to listen to every wish you have about Purism.

@all - you can comment on wording about website, and even make us take PureOS out of Purism infra (we could simply mirror it to some domain) but it will not change a fact - PureOS is Free distro and that is what the FSF endorsement is about. Hopefully we apply sooner rather than later or never for RYF hardware certificate but that is another story to be told (ThinkPenguin has RYF certificate yet on same domain/store it sells non-free hardware).

ciao