Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO

From: Ivan Zaigralin
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2016 15:53:42 -0800

On Wednesday, November 09, 2016 14:19:21 Ivan Zaigralin wrote:
> On Thursday, November 10, 2016 08:51:14 Riley Baird wrote:
> > Should Trisquel be able to create a list of computers with compatible
> > hardware?
>
> This is a good question, and may be someone here can provide an answer? To
> be sure, I am a bit confused about Trisquel's endorsement of, say,
> ThinkPenguin, which to my best knowledge does not supply any systems with
> free BIOS. Trisquel's page makes a clear distinction between free BIOS
> systems and others:
>
> https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/complete-systems
>
> Still, I was under an impression that FSDG distributions should not
> recommend any nonfree software. If that is not the case and recommending a
> system with nonfree BIOS is OK (as long as it runs a free OS), then I think
> there shouldn't be any problem with Purism laptops either, no? I understand
> they do not require any nonfree [nonBIOS] software to be fully functional?
>
> My understanding of FSDG was that third parties would have to make lists of
> "freedom-friendly" computers. These parties would fail FSDG guidelines, but
> they would not be distributions, nor would they be endorsed by free
> distributions. It looks like either I was wrong, or Trisquel is doing
> something naughty.

Reading the guidelines again, if the BIOS situation can be seen as a
"borderline" area, then a clear statement about the deficiency of nonfree BIOS
solution, and an "exhortation" of fully free solutions may be deemed
acceptable by the FSF. May be that's the boat Trisquel is in? I would love to
hear from the official sources on this topic.