Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO

From: Ivan Zaigralin
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2016 14:19:21 -0800

On Thursday, November 10, 2016 08:51:14 Riley Baird wrote:
> Should Trisquel be able to create a list of computers with compatible
> hardware?

This is a good question, and may be someone here can provide an answer? To be
sure, I am a bit confused about Trisquel's endorsement of, say, ThinkPenguin,
which to my best knowledge does not supply any systems with free BIOS.
Trisquel's page makes a clear distinction between free BIOS systems and
others:

https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/complete-systems

Still, I was under an impression that FSDG distributions should not recommend
any nonfree software. If that is not the case and recommending a system with
nonfree BIOS is OK (as long as it runs a free OS), then I think there
shouldn't be any problem with Purism laptops either, no? I understand they do
not require any nonfree software to be fully functional?

My understanding of FSDG was that third parties would have to make lists of
"freedom-friendly" computers. These parties would fail FSDG guidelines, but
they would not be distributions, nor would they be endorsed by free
distributions. It looks like either I was wrong, or Trisquel is doing
something naughty.