Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO

From: Jaromil
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] review PureOS ISO
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 12:04:45 +0100

On Wed, 09 Nov 2016, Ivan Zaigralin wrote:

> On Wednesday, November 09, 2016 14:19:21 Ivan Zaigralin wrote:
> > On Thursday, November 10, 2016 08:51:14 Riley Baird wrote:

> > > Should Trisquel be able to create a list of computers with
> > > compatible hardware?

there is such a list all 100% free distros can rely on it is here
https://h-node.org

> > This is a good question, and may be someone here can provide an
> > answer?

Trisquel does not offer to ship its distribution over a medium that
contains non-free software. A pre-installed PC with a proprietary BIOS
is a "medium". If one offers an ISO image to download or a CD, that is
also a medium and it does not contain non-free software in addition to
the distribution.

for instance, when we will do an 100% free version of Devuan, even
then we won't be able to offer it pre-installed on RaspberryPi boxes,
because RPis contain non-free firmware blobs, so it cannot be used as
a medium for the distribution of free software.

we shall then use EOMA86 as a pre-installed medium (and lucky for us
they have already ported Devuan) since it doesn't contain any firmware
blob https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop

> Reading the guidelines again, if the BIOS situation can be seen as a
> "borderline" area

a BIOS is made of software. if there is no source for it, or even if
it contains some binary blobs, then is not free software.

I'm a bit surprised how this is not clear as of now.

ciao