Re: about GNU Hurd

From: Daniel Martin
Subject: Re: about GNU Hurd
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 13:17:53 +0100

On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 17:15 +0530, arnuld wrote:
> i have 2 simple questions, i see there are 2 distributions of Hurd:
>
> 1.) GNU (which is what we call the "complete GNU Operating System")
> 2.) Debian GNU/Hurd

Well strictly speaking these are not Hurd distributions they are
GNU/Hurd distributions, just as gNewSense is not a Linux distribution it
is a GNU/Linux distribution. The Hurd (+ GNUMach) is a kernel
replacement, not a full operating system.

> Debian Hurd has ISOs available in the form of K14 and it has apt-get
> as package management system which is quite good IMHO.

apt is not a package management system, similarly neither is yum.
Rather, these are programs that download packages from a repository and
pass them on to the package manager (dpkg, rpm etc..) to be installed.
It is hoped that one day there will be a program like apt or yum for the
GNU system.

> 1st question, GNU Hurd has no ISOs. this page links to 2 GNU
> snapshots: http://hurd.in/bin/view/Hurd/SetupGNU  but they are quite
> old and seem unusable to the person who want to become a Hurd
> developer. why there are no ISOs of GNU ?

There are ISO images of the most recent snapshots of GNU available at
[1]. There are official releases available on GNU FTP mirrors I believe
but these are extremely old.

> 2nd, i do not see any discussion for a package management system for
> GNU Hurd, is there any ?

This has been discussed in the past on this list I believe, have a look
through the archives. I encourage you to get involved! ;-)

 [1] http://www.update.uu.se/~ams/GNU/

Kind regards,

Daniel.