Re: about GNU Hurd

From: Jonathan Carter
Subject: Re: about GNU Hurd
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:04:27 +0200

Hi Michael

Michael Banck wrote:
There have been 0.1 and 0.2 releases of both the GNU Hurd and GNU in the
mid 90s, no futher releases have been made except for a couple of
development snapshots of the GNU system done by ams around end-2005
beginning of 2006.  While the GNU system development seems to have
slowed down somewhat over the last year (and was totally dormant between
mid-90s and mid-00s), development on the GNU Hurd (and GNU Mach and of
course GNU libc) is being continued.  That development is independent of
the GNU system though, and is being discussed/coordinated at
address@hidden and not on this list.  Debian GNU/Hurd is also actively
developped and discussed/coordinated at address@hidden
No proper release of Debian GNU/Hurd exists until today, but more or
less stable snapshots together with an installer are made available as
ISO images from time to time.

To get back to your question; neither GNU Hurd nor GNU/Hurd are
abandoned projects, but the latter is currently less visibly developped
(I am no insider, so cannot comment on any private hacking going on
behind the curtains).

Thank you Michael, that explains my question perfectly. I'm more interested in the GNU/Hurd progress itself than the Debian GNU/Hurd progress. I'll join both lists and stay up to date.

thanks!
Jonathan