Re: about GNU Hurd

From: arnuld
Subject: Re: about GNU Hurd
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 19:12:11 +0530

On 7/16/07, Daniel Martin <address@hidden> wrote:

On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 15:26 +0200, Jonathan Carter wrote:
> Daniel Martin wrote:
> > I was unable to access that site, perhaps the server is down. The latest
> > snapshots are from January 2006. Alfred has stated that there is
> > currently little point in creating a new snapshot.
>
> Is GNU/Hurd now an abandoned project? I always hoped that it would some
> day see some kind of a version 1.0 come to light. Linux is ok though,
> but it seems that it's going to stay on GPLv2 for at least a while.

GNU/Hurd isn't abandoned, but it does need more people to work on it.
Linux has no choice but to stick with GPLv2 as they removed the `or any
later version' clause, and therefore to change the license to GPLv3
would require the consent of all the copyright holders. But to be honest
the license doesn't matter that much, as long as it is free.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.

sometimes i think there are too many people working on Fedora and too
many on Debian and other GNU/Linu distros and here Hurd lacks
manpower. i think people have forgotten their freedom.  Corporates are
a virus to society and as soon as i think of these things my belief
and will for becoming a core developer for GNU/Hurd becomes stronger.

--
http://arnuld.blogspot.com/