Re: about GNU Hurd

From: Daniel Martin
Subject: Re: about GNU Hurd
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 13:25:14 +0100

On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 13:17 +0100, Daniel Martin wrote:
> > 1st question, GNU Hurd has no ISOs. this page links to 2 GNU
> > snapshots: http://hurd.in/bin/view/Hurd/SetupGNU  but they are quite
> > old and seem unusable to the person who want to become a Hurd
> > developer. why there are no ISOs of GNU ?

I was unable to access that site, perhaps the server is down. The latest
snapshots are from January 2006. Alfred has stated that there is
currently little point in creating a new snapshot.

> There are ISO images of the most recent snapshots of GNU available at
> [1]. There are official releases available on GNU FTP mirrors I believe
> but these are extremely old.

Sorry, I was being a fool, the snapshots there are not ISO images, but
they are the preferred (only?) way to install GNU. IMO they are easier
to install than an ISO image would be, provided that you already have
GNU/* or *BSD installed.