Re: [Gomp-discuss] CVS organization

From: Biagio Lucini
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] CVS organization
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 16:20:55 +0200

On Tuesday 06 April 2004 16.01, Diego Novillo wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 09:52, Biagio Lucini wrote:
> > If anyone has any problem with this policy, we better discuss it now.
>
> Well, no real preference one way or the other.  After all gfortran
> started on a separate repository.  The one advantage I see in starting
> directly on gcc.gnu.org is that you get immediate exposure to the GCC
> development community.  That doesn't happen while you're on SF.

The problem is that we don't know exactly what to do and how to do it. We can
have short term objectives that might contrast with those of gcc (that we
want to embrace in the long term anyway). For instance, suppose we decide to
target just Linux for a start, because this will help us to understand how
things work; the gcc will obviously react badly, and our plans can be
affected...

If you like, think of this as a play-ground branch. We are here to learn what
to do, when we have a good implementation we will contribute it to the rest
of the gcc community. I suppose that gfortran developed this way.

Cheers
Biagio

Biagio Lucini
Institut Fuer Theoretische Physik