Re: [Gomp-discuss] CVS organization

From: Diego Novillo
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] CVS organization
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 10:39:30 -0400

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 10:27, Scott Robert Ladd wrote:

> One reason we decided to go with a platform-neutral design was for
> acceptance into GCC; if memory serves, we rejected the Linux-specific
> implementation because it would not be broad enough for acceptance into
> by the broader GCC community.

If you were going to submit GOMP for mainline acceptance, then yes, I
agree.  However, starting on a branch, it doesn't matter if you
initially set your sights at implementing it on Linux first.  Then you
generalize your runtime and make it generic.

> I have no problem with revisiting our earlier decisions, but we should
> do so now, before we have a design -- and the design should proceed any
> implementation work.

Well, if you want.  But don't spend too long designing.  I've always had
good results with the "design-a-little, implement-a-little" approach.
I'm sure the SoftEng world has a term for it.  It lets you evolve and
learn in a natural way.

Diego.