Re: [Gomp-discuss] CVS organization

From: Scott Robert Ladd
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] CVS organization
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 11:07:02 -0400

Diego Novillo wrote:
If you were going to submit GOMP for mainline acceptance, then yes, I
agree.  However, starting on a branch, it doesn't matter if you
initially set your sights at implementing it on Linux first.  Then you
generalize your runtime and make it generic.

Hmmm. I remember there being more consternation over the issue, and a general sense that we needed soemthign concrete before actually becoming a branch. However, I'm agnostic at this point; I just need to know where to point CVS. :)

Also, at this point, I believe it makes sense to wait for tree-ssa to be merged into mainline; then GOMP would be a direct branch of mainline, as opposed to a branch of a soon-to-be-merged branch.

I have no problem with revisiting our earlier decisions, but we should do so now, before we have a design -- and the design should proceed any implementation work.

Well, if you want.  But don't spend too long designing.  I've always had
good results with the "design-a-little, implement-a-little" approach. I'm sure the SoftEng world has a term for it. It lets you evolve and
learn in a natural way.

Indeed, everything in moderation. I'm looking for a balance between diving-in-and-coding and obsessing over the details; we need a happy (and productive) medium.

An incremental model is fine; at the moment, I'm experimenting with the manual threading of small programs, to see what the code generated by OpenMP *should* look like.

Design does not mean a big long document; it means answering questions such as "pthreads or Native Posix Threading Library (NPTL) or both?"

--
Scott Robert Ladd