Re: [Gomp-discuss] CVS organization

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] CVS organization
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 15:17:23 +0100

On Tuesday 06 April 2004 15:01, Diego Novillo wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 09:52, Biagio Lucini wrote:
> > If anyone has any problem with this policy, we better discuss it now.
>
> Well, no real preference one way or the other.  After all gfortran
> started on a separate repository.  The one advantage I see in starting
> directly on gcc.gnu.org is that you get immediate exposure to the GCC
> development community.  That doesn't happen while you're on SF.

On difference is that gfortran was a totally new frontend, you just dropped
the new directory into an existing gcc tree with almost no patching of
existing files. Even then keeping things in sync was a running battle at
times. This is probably going to be the case for libgomp.

However if you're modifying an existing frontend I think it'll make keeping
things in sync a lot easier if it's a branch in gcc cvs. If not I'd expect
you're basically going to have to clone the whole gcc tree anyway.

I can understand the reluctance to work directly from gcc cvs if core gomp
developers don't have CVS write access, but I'm sure that can be fixed :)
Moving gfortran into gcc cvs reduced my maintenance burden quite
significantly.

Paul