Re: [Gomp-discuss] CVS organization

From: Scott Robert Ladd
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] CVS organization
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 10:27:53 -0400

Diego Novillo wrote:
If anyone has any problem with this policy, we better discuss it now.

Well, no real preference one way or the other.  After all gfortran
started on a separate repository.  The one advantage I see in starting
directly on gcc.gnu.org is that you get immediate exposure to the GCC
development community.  That doesn't happen while you're on SF.

True, but -- if I recall -- when we first started this project, tree-ssa was still up for debate in some circles, and there was resistance to adding GOMP as a branch of a branch, so to speak.

Given that tree-ssa is being merged into mainline, perhaps it *is* time to consider hosting GOMP at gcc.gnu.org. But...

One reason we decided to go with a platform-neutral design was for acceptance into GCC; if memory serves, we rejected the Linux-specific implementation because it would not be broad enough for acceptance into by the broader GCC community.

Also, a generic approach pushed us toward a pthreads approach, as opposed to platform-specific Linux Native Threads. If we're going pthreads for portability, the perhaps we should stay with the generic design.

Which is why I think we need a *design* document before we jump into copding, plans of action, organizing CVS and what-not. And as such, I've been working on expanding and completing the original design document, based on our original generic approach.

I have no problem with revisiting our earlier decisions, but we should do so now, before we have a design -- and the design should proceed any implementation work.

--
Scott Robert Ladd