gutopia-dev

RE: [rgui-dev] Camelot

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: RE: [rgui-dev] Camelot
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 22:03:26 -0700

Tom Sawyer wrote:

> Curt, and Laurent, if you want something bad enough, you will fight for
> it. you will do what needs to be done. i understand if you have other
> things on your plates. but it seems to me, you both want this. you both
> see the importance of getting something like this out there, for Ruby,
> for FreeRide. so why won't you bite the bullet? MAKE the time! Even just
> a little bit, working as a team, can go a long long way.
>
> lets do this thing and lets do it right. give me your hand and i'll show
> you just how fast and well we can make this happen.

I hope you won't take this the wrong way, but Laurent, Rich, Bob and myself
have decided to temporarily put the development of FreeRIDE on hold and
produce a wxWindows binding for Ruby (wxRuby). As I said in the beginning,
wxWindows meets our need very, very well, and continuing with FOX means
writing more and more throw-away code. Perhaps you will be able to make use
of wxRuby as one of your backends.

However, GUtopIa does have a very definite future in FreeRIDE. By the time
GUtopIa is ready for primetime, we may be ready to implement GUI-builder
features in FreeRIDE -- it could be a match made in heaven! Time will tell.

I know you won't let this discourage you. You are perusing some very good
ideas, and I'm looking forward to watching them develop. You can be sure I
will continue to contribute my opinions when I feel its warranted.

Curt