gutopia-dev

RE: [rgui-dev] Camelot

From: Tom Sawyer
Subject: RE: [rgui-dev] Camelot
Date: 28 Aug 2002 23:54:02 -0600

On Wed, 2002-08-28 at 23:03, Curt Hibbs wrote:
> I hope you won't take this the wrong way, but Laurent, Rich, Bob and myself
> have decided to temporarily put the development of FreeRIDE on hold and
> produce a wxWindows binding for Ruby (wxRuby). As I said in the beginning,
> wxWindows meets our need very, very well, and continuing with FOX means
> writing more and more throw-away code. Perhaps you will be able to make use
> of wxRuby as one of your backends.

> However, GUtopIa does have a very definite future in FreeRIDE. By the time
> GUtopIa is ready for primetime, we may be ready to implement GUI-builder
> features in FreeRIDE -- it could be a match made in heaven! Time will tell.
>
> I know you won't let this discourage you. You are perusing some very good
> ideas, and I'm looking forward to watching them develop. You can be sure I
> will continue to contribute my opinions when I feel its warranted.

i was afraid of this. pretty much saw it coming. and honestly i think it
pretty sad. you guys were ready to take the hard road with SWT but now
you have fallen back to easy street, a street that will only lead to
middle of the road results. it's funny actually. it was due to your idea
of using SWT and the extra bonus of Ruby/DL that caused me to realize
that the right way, the best way, was not to use go-between libraries at
all. so mine is a middle of the road task but in the end will give top
of the line results. too bad you all arn't up for the trip.

well curt, i wish you guys luck. i know that wxWindows will suit your
needs for FreeRide in place of FOX. i wish you would give it some more
thought. i am certain that a purist ruby implementaion is the best way
to go and can be done nearly as fast, and certainly better, and to our
own specifications! not someone elses. but you have to do what you think
is best. i understand.

the worse part of this, of course, is that i just lost four developers.
but i will see if i can find new recruits, and encourage those still
with me to take up the slack.

thanks for offering to stay in the loop with GUtopIa. your ideas and
advice are always welcome.

ciao,
~tom