Re: I may be stupid, but I can't build CVS

From: Russ Lewis
Subject: Re: I may be stupid, but I can't build CVS
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 15:11:05 -0700

Akim Demaille wrote:

> Russ> Hi, I'm Russ Lewis, and I've been using Bison for a couple of
> Russ> months now.  I decided to get a copy from CVS and play with
> Russ> that....but trouble is, I can't figure out how to build it!
>
> Russ> Sorry for the newbie question...I searched several months of the
> Russ> archives and couldn't find any instructions. :(
>
> Hi Russ, sorry for the bad experience.
>
> You need Autoconf 2.53, Automake 1.6, Gettext 0.11.  Once you have
> these guys, a plain `autoreconf -v -f -i' should make a configure and
> all the rest, as usual.  If you have problems, I'll roll a tarball up.

Thanks for the pointer.  I got those 3 installed, and can run autoreconf
-v -f -i.  It puts out this warning:

Please use AM_GNU_GETTEXT([external]) in order to cause autoconfiguration
to look for an external libintl.

Please update po/Makevars so that it defines all the variables mentioned
in po/Makevars.template.
You can then remove po/Makevars.template.

Please run 'aclocal -I m4' to regenerate the aclocal.m4 file.
You need aclocal from GNU automake 1.5 (or newer) to do this.
Then run 'autoconf' to regenerate the configure file.

You will also need config.guess and config.sub, which you can get from
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/config/.

You might also want to copy the convenience header file gettext.h
from the /usr/local/share/gettext directory into your package.
It is a wrapper around <libintl.h> that implements the configure
--disable-nls
option.

I then ran ./configure, and it fails with:

checking for GNU gettext in libc... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating tests/Makefile
config.status: creating tests/atlocal
config.status: creating tests/bison
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating config/Makefile
config.status: creating intl/Makefile
config.status: error: cannot find input file: intl/Makefile.in

Frankly, I wouldn't mind just getting a tarball of the makefiles...but
it's probably a good thing (for Bison) to know what I did wrong...

--
The Villagers are Online! villagersonline.com

.[ (the fox.(quick,brown)) jumped.over(the dog.lazy) ]
.[ (a version.of(English).(precise.more)) is(possible) ]
?[ you want.to(help(develop(it))) ]