Re: I may be stupid, but I can't build CVS

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: I may be stupid, but I can't build CVS
Date: 11 Apr 2002 12:10:58 +0200

| Thanks for the pointer.  I got those 3 installed, and can run autoreconf
| -v -f -i.  It puts out this warning:
|

| Please use AM_GNU_GETTEXT([external]) in order to cause autoconfiguration
| to look for an external libintl.

Bison will probably do that in the future.  Ignore.

| Please update po/Makevars so that it defines all the variables mentioned
| in po/Makevars.template.
| You can then remove po/Makevars.template.

Ignore this.

| Please run 'aclocal -I m4' to regenerate the aclocal.m4 file.
| You need aclocal from GNU automake 1.5 (or newer) to do this.
| Then run 'autoconf' to regenerate the configure file.
|
| You will also need config.guess and config.sub, which you can get from
| ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/config/.
|
| You might also want to copy the convenience header file gettext.h
| from the /usr/local/share/gettext directory into your package.
| It is a wrapper around <libintl.h> that implements the configure
| --disable-nls
| option.

Ignore all this too.

| I then ran ./configure, and it fails with:
|

| checking for GNU gettext in libc... yes
| configure: creating ./config.status
| config.status: creating tests/Makefile
| config.status: creating tests/atlocal
| config.status: creating tests/bison
| config.status: creating Makefile
| config.status: creating config/Makefile
| config.status: creating intl/Makefile
| config.status: error: cannot find input file: intl/Makefile.in

Well, that's a problem with gettextize: it has changed configure.ac
incorrectly :(  remove it, and ask cvs to update it.  Similarly for
Makefile.am.

I'm sorry for this inconvenience, I hope Autoconf & Gettext can agree
so that in the future this no longer happens.