Re: I may be stupid, but I can't build CVS

From: Russ Lewis
Subject: Re: I may be stupid, but I can't build CVS
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 13:24:34 -0700

--
The Villagers are Online! villagersonline.com

.[ (the fox.(quick,brown)) jumped.over(the dog.lazy) ]
.[ (a version.of(English).(precise.more)) is(possible) ]
?[ you want.to(help(develop(it))) ]

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: [Fwd: I may be stupid, but I can't build CVS] Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 10:57:24 -0700
Akim Demaille wrote:

> Russ> I tried bootstrap, it still failed..
>
> How?  Why?  This is what I need to understand the problems.

I'll put details (and links to logfiles) down at the bottom.

> You seemed to say there were cvs commands in bootstrap.  Maybe you had
> a previous version: the latest includes *no* cvs commands.  And it
> works like a charm:

No, there are not any CVS commands in bootstrap.

I'm not sure what exactly is going on, but for me, if I start with "CVS
checkout",
it will fail, but if I start with "CVS export" it will not.  Note also that I'm
using an anonymous checkout...that shouldn't make a difference, should it?

This sequence of commands works:
    rm -rf bison
    export CVSROOT=:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/bison
    cvs export -Dtoday bison
    cd bison
    ./bootstrap
    ./configure
    make
    A log of this sequence is posted at
http://villagersonline.com/bison/cvs-export.txt

This sequence of commands does not:
    rm -rf bison
    export CVSROOT=:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/bison
    cvs checkout bison
    cd bison
    ./bootstrap
    A log of this sequence is posted at
http://villagersonline.com/bison/cvs-checkout.txt

--
The Villagers are Online! villagersonline.com

.[ (the fox.(quick,brown)) jumped.over(the dog.lazy) ]
.[ (a version.of(English).(precise.more)) is(possible) ]
?[ you want.to(help(develop(it))) ]

--- End Message ---