Re: No automatic tabs in Emacs?

From: Torsten Mueller
Subject: Re: No automatic tabs in Emacs?
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 13:40:52 +0100

Elena <egarrulo@gmail.com> wrote:

>     I always tell the students if they come into the situation to do
> the
>     same things again and again they do something wrong. They should
> think
>     about refactoring their code.

Oh, somebody seems to use a complicated tool here instead of a well
configured gnus on emacs.

> Or use better tools for the task at hand.

It's not only a tool question. Producing hundreds of copies of the
same or nearly the same code is also an endless source of errors,
especially if this code gets older and will be modified by others who
do not know all the copies. They make bugfixes and logical changes
only in some copies. A tool should not support the user to produce
such code industrially.

> The issue is that IDEs are a productivity booster,

They can also be the opposite. My MSVC can let me wait for ten minutes
doing something I don't know in background. Even terminating the
application can take five, six, seven minutes. I don't know what this
damned thing does.

I do not speak against IDEs. I speak against the overkill of senseless
features. MSVC has had it's summit with Version 6. At the latest from
then on it got bloated and slow. Ironically at this time they even
removed well-engineered features like the generation of Makefiles and
the Profiler, too, in favour of this funny macro engine and other
stuff. The help system is a true garbage dump now, not usable for
anything. The only reason I use MSVC is that the debugger is
integrated.

> and in an highly competitive market, that matters.

Yes, that matters.

T.M.