Re: [Help-gnunet] INDIRECTION_TABLE_SIZE and download speed

From: Igor Wronsky
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] INDIRECTION_TABLE_SIZE and download speed
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 02:46:27 +0300 (EEST)

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, James Blackwell wrote:

> If person A with a T1 donates 5,000 unique files to a p2p network of
> which there is immediate interest in 50 files of 5 megabytes each,
> then the p2p system is going to try and get all 50 at the same time.

Well, perhaps person A just should refrain from offering more
than he can support... People expect a technical solution to
everything, when user education would be more in order.

>       else {
>           denyfileupload;
>       }

Then what? People might query with a hash. Do you plan to send
them some kind of "busy, come back later" -message? When would
that later be? Or perhaps "no, this file is not available
at the moment. Get another."? But which one? If we tell,
that'd be... telling. When would the node respond to
searches with locally inserted matches? Suppose it did,
when there was little load. Now the results would propagate
and be available to people (supplied by other nodes) even
when there was load on your node and you were unable to
supply the file, having to denyfileupload.

I don't say it can't be done. I don't say it shouldn't
be done. Only that its complicated and it just might not be
worth it. Inserting lots of junk in a way pollutes the
keyspace and makes it harder to find 'the good stuff'.
Perhaps it would be better to insert a little excellent
stuff and support that.

I.