help-vcdimager

Re: [VCDImager] New to the list - SVCD BIN/CUE problem

From: Jorgensen, Jens
Subject: Re: [VCDImager] New to the list - SVCD BIN/CUE problem
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 13:07:44 -0600

Javier Hernandez wrote:

Hi Jens,

Thanks for your reply.

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Jorgensen, Jens wrote:

Well, when I've had problems it's been because the video I was playing
was intentionally not within the strict SVCD spec. Might that apply to
your video?

Maybe is that the reason. I have just started to build my mpeg's and so.

Unfortunately until recent days I did not notice about the mjpeg tools,
so I was using windows software to create my mpegs. I think I selected
the right SVCD options but because I am a newbie to this world maybe
I did any mistake.

Is there any way which you could suggest me to check the spec of my
mpges files ?

Well, you need to make sure the data rate isn't more than 2.7888 Mbps and the decoder model has a motion video buffer size of 230K. The resolution must be 480x480 for NTSC, 480x576 for PAL. There's a maximum of 18 pictures per GOP for NTSC, 15 for PAL. There are some other flags restrictions for the PES packet header too.

To sum it up the best way to make sure you're within constraints is to use tools that have presets for SVCD (as the mjpeg tools do). Also read the mjpeg howto which describes explicitly how to create SVCDs. I think it would be tough to check your existing mpeg files for compliance. I couldn't say how to proceed there.

My comments above were based on the fact that I tried to make SVCDs that were above spec, ie. using non-standard resolution (720x480) and trying to use a higher data rate and what I found was that I got all kinds of ugly artifacts and problems in playback. When I use encoding that follows the spec it comes out looking nice.

Best regards,

I have two mpeg2 (SVCD) files ready to create the BIN/CUE's images.
Both mpeg2 (SVCD) files can be play "without any problem" with MPlayer
in my system.
I created a BIN/CUE image for each file and I burned them to two SVCDs with
cdrdao.
Now when I run the two SVCDs with MPlayer I can see sometimes (normally at
the same time sequence, so it can be reproduced any time) is that video
stops in one point but the audio continues running; after a short time, maybe
5 or 10 seconds the video comes out again, in the right sequence.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
address@hidden