human-beings-discuss

Re: [Human-beings-discuss] primary resources

From: dams
Subject: Re: [Human-beings-discuss] primary resources
Date: 17 Apr 2002 16:16:40 +0200

Guillaume Cottenceau <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> I don't think your statement answers mine. Of course you can't
> stay in blitz mode forever, it would consume too much resources,
> or else it's not a real blitz mode. Realistically, "blitz" mode
> is "automatic", e.g. when a unit attacks it tries to attack the
> most it can, automatically. I don't think having a degraded mode
> is interesting.

for attacking defending you are right, but you could choos to move at fll speed
(no economy), thus spending more fuel

[...]

> > Ok, if you want, let's forget the refueling. I would keep the amunition
> > concept, with big units that produced their munitions from energy (like
> > fuel,
> > and because we forget refueling, they don't need to refuel, nor to rearm).
> > And
> > other unnits that cannot produce their amunitions, so they have to get back
> > rearm.
>
> It's a matter of taste, but I (at least for now) really don't
> like the fact that a player would need to move back his units for
> any reason.

He won't need to "move the unit back", the unit will go back to base
automatically. And just to rearm, so it's because it fighted.
Let's forget completely the fuel thing, just keep rearming

> Of course I agree that it's more realistic, but it's to the cost
> of bore, which is in my opinion far more important. I tend to
> agree with Pixel on that: the first criterion is the playability
> of the game.

well. Just keep the amunition, and you will see that's you have more fun.
You have to bring medium size unit (to produce amunition) with your light
units.

well, it tends to oblige the user to have a balanced army, that will bring more
fun, because there are more way to defeat an army then.

And you don't loose playability.
Playability is not "being god with full poser all the time".

If you want, we can discuss about it later, or remove it completely.

> [...]
>
> > You can also have refuel specific units, that will transport fuel. You can
> > then
> > have tactics to cut refueling instead of brute force. Then you might want to
> > protect your refuling line...
>
> There is a similar approach with medics in the StarCraft BroodWar
> extension, and I think this is the way to go: a unit "close" to
> another unit would "enhance" it. This is automatic thus not too
> boring. The tactics you talk about applies, when you kill medics
> to prevent from soldiers to get automatically healed.

That's it. But it's boring in broodwar because it's not enough automatic. The
best behaviour is to move your medium sized units with the light ones, the
light ones go faster. You can attack with them, and when they need to rearm,
they go back to the medium units (that is coming slowly), then come back were
they were when they add no amunitions anymore.

[...]

> > In this space opera game, it was very important, you had to have different
> > units to attack, because you know that at some time (automatically), some of
> > your unnts will be unavailable, because returning to the nearest refueling
> > unit. You could (on the defense side) sacrify some force to one enemy
> > section
>
> This can be handled by a "mana" energy needed for firing. This
> was used in WarCraft-2 with Paladin. And this is another time
> automatic thus playable :-).

so there is a way we could agree ? :)

> > that will have to refuel, so won't be available for the next minutes
> >
> > In this game in fact, there is only one ressources, and one type of energy.
> > When you are out of duel or energy, the unit seek home. If it has no fuel
> > anymore, it can seek home, but slowly. You can automate the refueling and
> > energy consumtion.
> >
> > IMHO it brings cool war style, and prevent strange war system (one section
> > destroy everything). You have to conquier more globally, and you have to
> > secure
> > the land you conquiered so that you can refuel, or you choose to send
> > autonom
> > units (like second base, refueling, energy gathering...)
>
> This "securing land" concept is very interesting, and is actually
> already handled by the concept I've talked about, e.g. the
> additional percentage of cost on primary resources, when the unit
> is far away from production center of the primary resources it
> needs.

ok for "fuel" things. But for amunition, imho, that should be real (ie
units to transport munitions, slower units that can defend, attakc and produce
amunitions), so that you have to protect the rearming process, and can be
attacked.