human-beings-discuss

Re: [Human-beings-discuss] primary resources

From: Guillaume Cottenceau
Subject: Re: [Human-beings-discuss] primary resources
Date: 17 Apr 2002 14:34:22 +0200

dams <address@hidden> writes:

> > I think your proposition is realistic but too boring for a
> > player. It needs to be automatic to be playable.
>
> I agree, and this concept can be fully automatic. The interresting point is
> that the player will have to handle it, even if it's automatic. He could have
> the choice between different way to refuel, organize its waypoints or choose
> moving mode between fast and economic, and so on. It will be possible to do
> blitz attack 3 times faster consuming 3 times more oil... IMHO every things

This is theoretically a good idea, but imagine it in reality:
each time you attack or get attacked, you will need to switch
your units to "blitz" mode, then switch back... very boring,
regarding user interface.

> that can be automatic should be automatic, ie the player doesn't have to bring
> its unit back to base to refuel. But he will be able to choose between
> different modes.

For the refuel, having to move back for a refuel is extremely
boring. For example Bomber or Fighter unit in Civilization needs
to go to a city or Carrier on a regular base, and I personally
then didn't use these boring units. In automatic mode, it would
be also very boring and not very interesting.

I prefer a lot the automatic approach like explained before, e.g.
consume an amount of oil production. It simulates approximately
the same thing but is much more usable.

> In the famous space opera game (I don't remember the name), the little
> spacecrafts have to refuel, you can tell them to refuel at any time, but in
> general, you choose the way they will automatically refuel.

There is a refuel thingy in Battle-Isle or ASC (ASC is in
contrib, it's a Battle-Isle like game), I don't know if I like it
but it seems not so interesting; alos, it doesn't map well to the
timecycle of the game (the fact that approx 3 seconds will map 1
year in the game - this means a 5-hour game to go from 4000BC to
2000AD).

> If there are tons of parameters to care, it's ok if there is a
> handler for each one, and that by default it's set to a
> standard value. And imho this will make the difference between

Yes of course.

> good and expert players (those who creates their handlers)

Yes.

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://www.frozen-bubble.org/