Re: web translation oddities

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: web translation oddities
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 09:52:51 +0200

Op zaterdag 03-04-2010 om 01:23 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Graham
Percival:

> as an ignorant North American, I wouldn't dream of telling a
> European how their funky languages worked... but I really question
> whether "Deutsch" is the correct 'de' translation of "English".
> Ditto for es, fr, etc.

Yeah, well, what you have here is what they call a `hack'.  Technically
you are right, but if you want to play right, you implement two
different patterns for technically the same thing (transpose strings):
more code and add data to code, etc.

If/when translations make it to a .po file or somesuch, there won't
be 'English' as a translatable string.  If you insist, we could make
the original string read '<English>' or '<name-of-current-language>'
and add an 'en': or '': entry to translate that to 'English'.

> I thought the original lang_lookup table was a much more intuitive
> way of handling each language's name for themselves ?

Possibly, you can even do this string that way, if you want.

Look, I want to get this website out asap, I stuble into a script
that is broken when fed languages other than 'es', which has translated
strings, uses + and += to build a string instead of using string
formatting and uses Yet Oneother Home Brew Translation pattern instead
of a gettexty interface.  Of course I do all languages if I only need
to copy the translations from the old website?

> Anyway, note that John is working on the gettext stuff, so maybe
> we shouldn't screw around with this stuff too much?  Or at least,
> it might be good to check with him before making more changes?

Ah, okay.  John, hope you like my changes at least as much as
Graham, I'll cc patches to you before applying.

Greetings,
and Good luck digesting your breakfast ;-)
Jan.

Freelance IT http://JoyOfSource.com | AvatarĀ®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl