Re: web translation oddities

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: web translation oddities
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 17:20:08 +0200

>> The /english/ news.itexi refers to "Changes" (untranslated),
>> of course.
>
> why the mao is... oh, I see.  Mao.
>
>> The resulting website output is fine, and has been fine
>> for over two weeks.
>
> It's "fine", but not "perfect" -- enable the "nl" translation,
> then look at community->old news.  The HTML output contains a
> bunch of @ref{Changes} and the like.

just like -- see below -- news.itexi, also community.itexi
has no dutch translation.  These refs are also from the
original english version -- same argument: should we mandate
copies/ skeletons here?

if so, iwbn if make skeleton-update worked

>> We could mandate copying news.itexi and add a bunch of
>> @untranslated, but I think that's silly and unnecessary.
>> Moreover, make skeleton-update is broken, so that's hard
>> to do.
>
> Mao.  I _think_ that this kind of thing is supposed to be fixed by
> the @translationof infrastructure, but that appears to be broken.
> I see some logic about this in
> Documentation/lilypond-texi2html.init, but I can't understand it
> easily.
>

> So I see three options:
> 1)  ignore it.  Let the log have ~500 extra lines (which makes it
> much harder to track down any real problems that might occur later
> on), let the output have a literal @ref{...}, etc.

right, I've been doing this and it produces a working website.
I think all/most real node errors are caucht anyway by a regular
make all-doc

When choosing this option, I think most translations are okay and
produce a fine website...

> 2)  insist that the Documentation/??/web/ contain all the files in
> the English version.  We don't insist that they all be translated;
> just that they have the copies there, and that they update the
> @ref{}s to be internally consistent.

see iwbn above...also, won't this requirement cascade (because of refs)
right down into *all* documentation?
> 3)  fix lilypond-texi2html.init.  Not me.

...when it's in python maybe.

greetings,
Jan