Re: web translation oddities

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: web translation oddities
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 17:10:17 +0200

Op zaterdag 03-04-2010 om 12:11 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Graham
Percival:

> As of 2383b88b82331b00fefe8796c4c063c7915435ec I don't see these
> warnings.  Hmm... if you're not using texi2html 1.82, then that
> might explain it?

Yes, these are gone now.

> Since it doesn't happen in English or es, it *is* nl-specific.

Well, it is a problem with the translation infrastructure.

> > We /do/ have nodes
> > called Changes and Manuals, but they're translated.
>
> No you don't:
>
> @node Veranderingen
> @unnumberedsec Veranderingen
> @translationof Changes
>
> You have a maoing node called Veranderingen on line 412 of
> Documentation/nl/web/manuals.itexi.

Yes, that's what I mean.  The dutch translation is quite
minimal (well, delivery level 2, it could be smaller), but
is internally consistent.  "Changes" has been translated
everywhere.

The /english/ news.itexi refers to "Changes" (untranslated),
of course.

We could mandate copying news.itexi and add a bunch of
@untranslated, but I think that's silly and unnecessary.
Moreover, make skeleton-update is broken, so that's hard
to do.

> I don't know what the mao the automatic language selection does,
> nor is supposed to do.  All I know / care is that there is *no*
> node called Changes, or Manuals, in Documentation/nl/web*.

No, but it is also not referenced from there.

>  Whip
> out the good old 's/Changes/Verandingaling/' and
> 's/Old downloads/Oude downloads/' and move on with life.

That's already done for every file in nl/, this "Changes" is
inside Documentation/web.

The resulting website output is fine, and has been fine
for over two weeks.

Jan.

Freelance IT http://JoyOfSource.com | AvatarĀ®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl