Re: web translation oddities

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: web translation oddities
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 12:11:54 +0100

On Sat, Apr 03, 2010 at 12:53:19PM +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> Op zaterdag 03-04-2010 om 11:15 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Graham
> Percival:
>
> > ** Unknown command address@hidden</code>' (left as is)
> >    (four times)
> > ** Unknown command address@hidden</code>' (left as is)
> >    (four times again... hmm, maybe this one isn't a translation
> > problem?  oh, and it goes 4 times yet again)
>
> Not a nl-specific problem?

As of 2383b88b82331b00fefe8796c4c063c7915435ec I don't see these
warnings.  Hmm... if you're not using texi2html 1.82, then that
might explain it?

> > *** Undefined node `Manuals' in @ref (in
> > /home/janneke/vc/lelie-web/Documentation//web/community.itexi l.
> > 419 in @divEnd)
> >
> > *** Undefined node `Changes' in @ref (in
> > /home/janneke/vc/lelie-web/Documentation//web/news.itexi l. 122)
> > *** Undefined node `Old downloads' in @ref (in
> > /home/janneke/vc/lelie-web/Documentation//web/news.itexi l. 194 in
> > @newsEnd)
> >    (these messages are repeated, other than the line numbers, 407
> > times!)
>
> Not a nl-specific problem?

Since it doesn't happen in English or es, it *is* nl-specific.

> We /do/ have nodes
> called Changes and Manuals, but they're translated.

No you don't:

@node Veranderingen
@unnumberedsec Veranderingen
@translationof Changes

You have a maoing node called Veranderingen on line 412 of
Documentation/nl/web/manuals.itexi.

> These english node names are referenced from  community.itexi and
> news.itexi, which are not (yet) part of the dutch translation, which
> should not be a problem; our automatic language selection takes
> care of "translating" Manuals to "Handleidingen" when accessed
> from the english community.itexi or news.itexi?

I don't know what the mao the automatic language selection does,
nor is supposed to do.  All I know / care is that there is *no*
node called Changes, or Manuals, in Documentation/nl/web*.  Whip
out the good old 's/Changes/Verandingaling/' and
's/Old downloads/Oude downloads/' and move on with life.

> > Completely incorrect.  Francisco has been translating stuff.  I've
> > been tweaking the translation infrastructure in response to his
> > bug reports; it was only 3 days ago that I thought I was finished.
>
> Okay...So it's been ready for 3 days and we didn't switch yet!

I thought the translation infrastructure was finished.  The
English text is still not finished; there's even still some debate
about the subsections.

> it would be nice to have a javascript on the front page saying
> please upgrade to ie8 or firefox.

Oh, I just remembered that I forgot to include the google
analytics javascript thingie.  That should **definitely** be done
before any switch, especially before a "temporary testing" switch.

I guess that should go in scripts/build/website_post.py ?