Re: web translation oddities

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: web translation oddities
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 01:52:29 +0100

On Sat, Apr 03, 2010 at 05:10:17PM +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> Op zaterdag 03-04-2010 om 12:11 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Graham
> Percival:
>
> > > We /do/ have nodes
> > > called Changes and Manuals, but they're translated.
> >
> > You have a maoing node called Veranderingen on line 412 of
> > Documentation/nl/web/manuals.itexi.
>
> The /english/ news.itexi refers to "Changes" (untranslated),
> of course.

why the mao is... oh, I see.  Mao.

> The resulting website output is fine, and has been fine
> for over two weeks.

It's "fine", but not "perfect" -- enable the "nl" translation,
then look at community->old news.  The HTML output contains a
bunch of @ref{Changes} and the like.

> We could mandate copying news.itexi and add a bunch of
> @untranslated, but I think that's silly and unnecessary.
> Moreover, make skeleton-update is broken, so that's hard
> to do.

Mao.  I _think_ that this kind of thing is supposed to be fixed by
the @translationof infrastructure, but that appears to be broken.
I see some logic about this in
Documentation/lilypond-texi2html.init, but I can't understand it
easily.

So I see three options:
1)  ignore it.  Let the log have ~500 extra lines (which makes it
much harder to track down any real problems that might occur later
on), let the output have a literal @ref{...}, etc.

2)  insist that the Documentation/??/web/ contain all the files in
the English version.  We don't insist that they all be translated;
just that they have the copies there, and that they update the
@ref{}s to be internally consistent.

3)  fix lilypond-texi2html.init.  Not me.