Re: web translation oddities

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: web translation oddities
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 09:26:37 +0200

Il giorno dom, 04/04/2010 alle 17.20 +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen ha
scritto:
> just like -- see below -- news.itexi, also community.itexi
> has no dutch translation.  These refs are also from the
> original english version -- same argument: should we mandate
> copies/ skeletons here?
>
> if so, iwbn if make skeleton-update worked

I no longer maintain that script at the moment, and I hacked
extract_texi_filenames to add all entries in English docs to the maps of
translations, so the need for that script would reduced to the case not
taken care of by the xref map system, i.e. cross-references to nodes
that are not translated but which use translated node names.  In this
case, I expect translators to check the output of texi2html for node
names "not found in the map file" and update manually.  IIRC I mentioned
in the CG that translators needn't define all untranslated nodes but
only the ones that are mentioned in cross-references within the same
document.

> >> We could mandate copying news.itexi and add a bunch of
> >> @untranslated, but I think that's silly and unnecessary.
> >> Moreover, make skeleton-update is broken, so that's hard
> >> to do.
> >
> > Mao.  I _think_ that this kind of thing is supposed to be fixed by
> > the @translationof infrastructure, but that appears to be broken.
> > I see some logic about this in
> > Documentation/lilypond-texi2html.init, but I can't understand it
> > easily.

Indeed, this is not clear, and we may still have unused code there.
Note that the @translationof infrastructure needs a complicated
toolchain made of extract_texi_filenames.py and texi2html plus our init
file.  I seriously doubt that the order of include paths for
translations is correct in website.make, but I'm not sure which
consequences it has, as I'm currently still in the blur of modifying the
code without testing.  I'll double-check Texi2html invocation too.

Best,
John