Re: web translation oddities

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: web translation oddities
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 14:02:55 +0200

Op maandag 05-04-2010 om 09:26 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef John
Mandereau:

> I no longer maintain that script at the moment

Okay, that's good to know.

> and I hacked
> extract_texi_filenames to add all entries in English docs to the maps of
> translations, so the need for that script would reduced to the case not
> taken care of by the xref map system, i.e. cross-references to nodes
> that are not translated but which use translated node names.  In this
> case, I expect translators to check the output of texi2html for node
> names "not found in the map file" and update manually.  IIRC I mentioned
> in the CG that translators needn't define all untranslated nodes but
> only the ones that are mentioned in cross-references within the same
> document.

Yes, this all I understand.  The question here is not about a @ref{} to
an untranslated node, but an english @ref{Changes} from the untranslated
news.itexi to a node that has been translated.

    @node Veranderingen
    @unnumberedsec Veranderingen
    @translationof Changes

> Indeed, this is not clear, and we may still have unused code there.
> Note that the @translationof infrastructure needs a complicated
> toolchain made of extract_texi_filenames.py and texi2html plus our init
> file.  I seriously doubt that the order of include paths for
> translations is correct in website.make, but I'm not sure which
> consequences it has, as I'm currently still in the blur of modifying the
> code without testing.  I'll double-check Texi2html invocation too.

So, what solution do you propose, what should I do?

We define translation deliveries 1 through 7.  For dutch, I did 1
and 2, which means that when building the website, news.itexi and
community.itexi are not tranlated (for delivery 1, this problem
would be bigger: more untranslated files in web).

Thus, the english versions are used and they refer to english nodes
like "Changes", which have been translated.  Result: lots of warnings.

We also do not make skeletons for those -- I think that's a good
thing because with time we'll add more cross-ref{}s and before
you know we'd /need/ a full documentation skeleton if we only
want to have the front page translated.

Greetings,
Jan.