Re: Line breaks in @file{} entries?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Line breaks in @file{} entries?
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 07:15:48 +0000

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 02:40:35AM +0100, Valentin Villenave wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 1:11 AM, Graham Percival
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 07:30:20AM -0800, Mark Polesky wrote:
> >> Can you post to Rietveld?  That's the preferred code sharing
> >> location.
>
> Let me see... A 300-Ko patch that affects >100 files? No way. I'm
> barely able to upload a 15-lines patch...

The problem is the network connection?  That sounds very weird.
I'd expect you to either not be able to connect at all, or be able
to upload megabytes without problem.

> > Also, given the amount of docs which have never been reviewed with
> > respect to the doc policy, I don't see this particular
> > inconsistency as important.
>
> I never said it was. Which is why I wanted to address it as quickly
> and discretely as possible, and pushed it elsewhere than master.
>
> This looked pretty harmless to me (to be honest, it still does).

Trying to sneak patches into git isn't the answer.

Have you forgotten the unfortunate events with the doc input
syntax patches over the summer?  I haven't.

> The rationale was: if we're to decide that @/ can't be tolerated
> in @file entries, removing these will be quite easy. If we
> decide, however, that this is the way these must be written,...
> well, you get my point.

I see.  Well, it would have been more clear if that rationale had
been in the commit message, and it would have been nice if the
patch had been put up for review first.  In the past few months,
we've all been trying to avoid surprises in git by putting more
and more things up for review.

Mark: you're more familiar with texinfo than me, so could I leave
the final judgement on this topic up to you?