Re: Line breaks in @file{} entries?

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Line breaks in @file{} entries?
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 15:47:34 -0000

Valentin Villenave wrote Friday, November 26, 2010 3:00 PM

Here's what I'm thinking (I'll update the doc guidelines if you guys agree):

@file{} entries should not contain a @/ escape sequence, unless these
are long enough to justify a possible line break.

Tick, as a policy statement.

Long entries are those who contain either more than one dash or more
                                          that  :)
than one slash (not counting "../").

Examples:
Write
 @file{scm/lily.scm}
or
 @file{scm/backend-library.scm}

but
 @file{scm/define@/-markup@/-commands.scm}
or
 @file{input/@/regression/@/note-names.ly}

Hhm. Not sure. I think I'd prefer "more than three dashes or slashes", if we are to do it that way, but really it depends more on the total length of the name rather than the number of dashes and slashes. I'd prefer
"if the name is longer than 50 characters (say)".

And if the name is too long then I'd prefer to place a single optional break near to the middle, so we don't get tiny fragments at the end or start of
lines.

Or as Graham suggests, use @example.

[Optionally:
@file{} entries in @seealso sections should not contain @/ escaping,