Re: Line breaks in @file{} entries?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Line breaks in @file{} entries?
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 17:03:41 -0700

On 11/26/10 4:26 PM, "Valentin Villenave" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I don't think we disagree here.  It appeared to me that Valentin was
>> thinking that 50 characters was too long.   I am arguing that 50 characters
>> is an appropriate maximum length.  A typical optimum line length appears to
>> be 55-75 characters, so 50 characters is most of a line.  I'd totally agree
>> with breaking file names that are too long.  What automatic breaking
>> algorithm would you propose for file names longer than 50 characters?  The
>> slash closest to the center?
>
> Guys,
> I've fixed all @file refs that were more than 50-chars long (there
> were only a dozen or so, so this really was no big deal).
>
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=commitdiff;h=fff96cc1a950
> 42ca4404adcc7f3d7076a83722cf

Most of these file references aren't actually more than 50 characters.  They
get over 50 when you include the @var{} inside the file, or in one case when
the greedy regex gets a closing } at the end of the line.

In my quick check, the only one that is really longer than 50 characters is
the one from Learning under MacOS X.

Thanks,

Carl