Re: Line breaks in @file{} entries?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Line breaks in @file{} entries?
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 11:43:58 -0700

On 11/26/10 10:51 AM, "Valentin Villenave" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Please have a look at the attached patch:
> http://dl.free.fr/pMyOkyICo
> (sorry about the inconvenience, but it's the only way for me to send
> larges patches. I did try and upload my patch on Rietveld, but git cl
> eventually failed with a BadStatusLine error. I'm guessing there was a
> server timeout at some point.)

I like the new patch, I think.  I believe that it would be preferable to do
this instead of reverting the previous patch.

> On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Long entries are those who contain either more than one dash or more
>>                                          that  :)
>>>
>>> than one slash (not counting "../").
>
> Er, are you suggesting that
> @file{this/is/a/very/long/path/towards/myfile.scm}
> should be printed without a line break?

I am suggesting this.  I would much prefer to keep file paths on one line as
long as they fit.

>> Hhm.  Not sure.  I think I'd prefer "more than three dashes or slashes",
>> if we are to do it that way, but really it depends more on the total length
>> of the name rather than the number of dashes and slashes.  I'd prefer
>> "if the name is longer than 50 characters (say)".
>> And if the name is too long then I'd prefer to place a single optional break
>> near to the middle, so we don't get tiny fragments at the end or start of
>> lines.
>
> Both suggestions seem reasonable and easy enough to achieve.
> (50 chars are really long, though.)

But a file name really *is* a single piece of information, so it should be
kept on one line.  If it's so long it won't fit on one line, then we should
decide where to break it, rather than having it be done automatically at any
slash.

Thanks,

Carl