Re: 3.0?

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: 3.0?
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 00:06:43 -0500

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 11:50 PM, Paul Morris <address@hidden> wrote:
Carl Sorensen-3 wrote
> I can't speak for Carl P's work.  For me, effective LP input files require
> structure (variables, contexts) that MusicXML knows nothing of. And it's
> generally easier to create them than to fix them on import.

I see what you mean.  Unfortunately it makes it harder to use other tools
that are optimized for composing with LilyPond...  Seems like capturing just
the musical content from a MusicXML file and then pasting it into a LP
template or file that has the LP structure should be easier than re-typing
it.  But I defer to those with more experience in this area, as I've only
done musicXML import a few times.

Urs Liska wrote
> https://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi/issues/345

I'm not sure about this.  Seems like you could get basically the same
workflow by using a second file as a sketchpad without having to introduce a
new UI component.  See my comment at the link above for more of my thoughts
on this.

-Paul

Allow me to extend my use case a bit further. My own work is similar to what I understand of Carl S's work. I have a file where I define each of my SATB parts, each lyrical verse, and calls a template file that takes the parts and creates the two staves for the music, with both a part-combined voice for display purposes and separated voices for MIDI and lyric purposes (the separated notes are hidden and non-colliding, etc., in the layout). I have a second file where I include this "master" file and create either the paper hymnal layout or slides for projection (depending upon which layout template I call).

I've done the two file workflow before, typically when I've created the four parts using a basic SATB template, then copied and pasted into the variables of my own template. That said, I am also trying to think about features which would make this more productive for someone who *isn't* inclined to work multiple files, variables, etc.

What I would *ultimately* like is the ability for someone to visually write each part on separate staves (or using two staves with two voices each), then those parts are translated into the template without any direct code manipulation. The visual interface would be like the single-line view in Finale (where it's not trying to deal with line lengths/spacing, etc.). This is basically what I do in MuseScore or Finale Notepad from the compositional side, but I'm trying to find the most efficient workflow to go from that to my template. I don't know if it's practical, possible, or what. I don't know whether this would be a Frescobaldi thing or a Denemo thing. Since Denemo is already a GUI experience, it may be the better place to try to get this kind of functionality.