Re: 3.0?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: 3.0?
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 00:25:53 +0100

Am 10.01.2014 23:37, schrieb Carl Peterson:
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 4:25 PM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> Well,
>> compiling a few measures of a single staff feels nearly instantaneous, and
>> when you're editing an orchestral score this makes a huge difference.
>>
>> Generally I'd think it would be a good idea to have such an interface in
>> Frescobaldi. UI-wise it wouldn't be too hard to add that. However, there is
>> one thing I've thought about several times and that doesn't make the issue
>> so easy:
>> If you have a short segment of a score, say in a variable, how can you
>> guarantee that LilyPond has the right context for that (I'm not talking of
>> \context, but of things like key, time signature, transposition etc.)?
>>
>> Couple of possibilities. Just thinking about Frescobaldi, since it seems
> to do a pretty good job of tracing things through the document(s), would it
> be possible to look for the reference to that variable and try to determine
> the context?

I think that wouldn't be reliable because there are so many
possibilities one couldn't really preview.

> Another option is that this is not a "compilation" feature (i.e., Fresco is
> not passing the variable to LP to compile), but rather it would allow a
> dialog box/popup and there would be the option to change certain things
> like time signature, transposition, etc.
>
> I actually think it should be some kind of bare-bones parser apart from LP
> proper (a bypass) that doesn't factor in articulations, manual tweaks,
> etc., but only considers absolutely essential components (notes, slurs,
> ties, chords, etc.).
>
> Carl

Actually I think you're considering something like Denemo does: create a
mock-up editor with output that will later be replaced by LilyPond's output.

But now I see how it could be done.
What you want is a tool that creates LilyPond input for you, isn't it?
Like the keyboard is a tool, midi input is one and xml import is one.
So you don't actually need the segment to be taken from the real file or
even be related to it.

What Frescobaldi can do is take some input code,
put it in a "scratch area" and let LilyPond compile that as a temporary file.
That's what it does when you compile a file that doesn't have a name yet.
Or when you're in the New Score Wizard and click "Preview".

So what one could implement is a tool that provides some, but not too much space
to edit text, a small preview pane and a set of UI elements for setting the
musical
context. From there it can wrap the source in a score template, respecting the
settings of time, key etc. and compile this (maybe continuously).
Then there are two buttons to copy/cut the source to the clipboard or to insert
it
at the current cursor position.

Actually there already is a similar tool: Edit in place.
When you right click on an item in the Music View and select Edit in Place it
fires
a small editor window where you can edit the current line in the source file.

--
Urs Liska
www.openlilylib.org