Re: Lose the tagline (permanently)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Lose the tagline (permanently)
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 18:55:32 +0100

Federico Bruni <address@hidden> writes:

> Il giorno mar 23 feb 2016 alle 17:22, Pierre-Luc Gauthier
> <address@hidden> ha scritto:
>> I am trying to show (or just explain) my LilyPond/Git/LaTeX workflow
>> to my
>> friends who are fully into music writing; they just don't see it
>> worth the
>> trouble.
>> But when they see the quality of the result, they are thrown away. I
>> explicitly want them to know that it was LilyPond made.
>
> I experienced exactly the same. If LilyPond had a true (and modern)
> GUI interface,

There is Denemo.

> it would probably be the most used notation software.

That's a bit like "If PostScript had a true (and modern) GUI interface,
it would probably be the most used graphics software."

Tailor on the NeXT (which ran via Display PostScript) was actually
pretty good at manipulating existing PostScript and EPS files.  Alas, it
went the way of all proprietary software.

Though
<URL:http://blackholeinc.com/catalog/software/Software/Graphics/Tailor.shtml>
looks like it "merely" became both very obscure and rather expensive
(compared to today's platform prices).

At any rate, the moment a "GUI" is expected to deal with preexisting
code not created with its help, stuff becomes pretty tricky.

> BTW, people often ask me which software I used even if I didn't remove
> the tagline.

It's actually not that often that we get the "I installed it and it
didn't do anything" complaint.  If people just looked for a download by
name (rather than looking at our web site) I'd expect more.  On the
other hand, they might never find a pointer to a mailing list either
before dropping out again.