Re: Lose the tagline (permanently)

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Lose the tagline (permanently)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 12:10:35 +0100

Il giorno mar 23 feb 2016 alle 18:55, David Kastrup <address@hidden> ha scritto:
 I experienced exactly the same. If LilyPond had a true (and modern)
 GUI interface,

There is Denemo.

Yes, I know. Denemo is a good option for users who are already motivated to work with LilyPond. But any user looking for an open source GUI notation software will probably choose MuseScore and not Denemo.

 it would probably be the most used notation software.

That's a bit like "If PostScript had a true (and modern) GUI interface,
it would probably be the most used graphics software."

Tailor on the NeXT (which ran via Display PostScript) was actually
pretty good at manipulating existing PostScript and EPS files. Alas, it
went the way of all proprietary software.

Though
<URL:http://blackholeinc.com/catalog/software/Software/Graphics/Tailor.shtml>
looks like it "merely" became both very obscure and rather expensive
(compared to today's platform prices).

At any rate, the moment a "GUI" is expected to deal with preexisting
code not created with its help, stuff becomes pretty tricky.

Schikkers List could have been an interesting option:
https://github.com/janneke/schikkers-list

but it seems that the LilyPond community is ignoring it:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2014-04/msg00102.html

BTW, it was never considered for GSoC?