Re: What's the least input into a score to get midi output added?

From: dax2
Subject: Re: What's the least input into a score to get midi output added?
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 10:51:52 +0200

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 19:23:54 -0700
Jay wrote:

> I did use text mode cut and paste from the pdf and that's where
> the problem came from.
> AND I need to check out the archive too.

Aha! When you use a PDF file you are using something which has
passed through LaTeX or tetex or pdftex (I am not an expert on
these things ... yet) and some characters are changed.

There is a change even for the "source code examples" and I
am not sure where and why it comes.  I get spaces in stead
of the single quote after c as in "\relative c'"

The reason is, that LaTeX tries to improve your text using
substitution for characters which are known to be easier to
read when they are replaced, for example:

   ffi becomes one character (or rather one glyph)

   double quotes may become >> or some special variants etc.

I fetched lilypond doc in pdf-representation to my workstation
and as told above I get space instead of the single quote in c'
when I do cut and paste. When I do ps2ascii lilypond.pdf > l.txt
and search for a4 b c d     then I get the correct singlequote.

Maybe it is a heritage from TeX or LaTeX being a math-text tool
where c' is a common notation for some kinds of variables.

--
dax2-tele2adsl:dk -- http://d-axel.dk/  Donald Axel