Re: missing term in Icking glossary

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: missing term in Icking glossary
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:55:43 -0400

address@hidden wrote:
> Hi!
> In finnish this symbol is called "viiva" or "tenuto".
>
>  But generally, tenuto means

I tried to avoid the issue by confining my remark to
the tenuto *mark*.  One can define "tenuto" as "holding"
and leave it at that, but the mark "-" is in the real
world composer-specific in meaning.  A frank admission
of that, no matter how worded, would be very nice in the
glossary.

At least there has been no change in the mark, has there?
Staccato changed from a wedge to a dot.  Carcassi tried to
avoid a problem there by putting "Staccato" at the beginning
of an etude instead of picking the wedge or the dot.  That direction is
almost universally ignored today.  :-)  daveA