Re: New Sibelius to LilyPond conversion suite

From: Johan Vromans
Subject: Re: New Sibelius to LilyPond conversion suite
Date: 02 Feb 2010 16:38:22 +0100

Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:

> However, it seems to me to be less than ideal to have both Kirill's
> xml->ly converter and the lilypond xml2ly that Reinhold has worked
> on.

Well, though they both have xml in their names, they process a
fundamentally different xml. LP's XML converter handles MusicXML while
Kirill's dumper produces an XML representation of the internal data of
Sibelius.

I doubt whether it is easy to change the dumper to produce MusicXML.
Dolet charges $200 for the MusicXML plugin for Sibelius, apparently
with reason.

> Kirill, we'd love to have you as part of the lilypond development
> team.

As far as I'm concerned, he already is. He's just working on different
things :)

But maybe it is feasible to translate Kirill's XML into MusicXML using
nifty XSLT? Then we have best of at least two worlds.

-- Johan