Re: User vs Developer: Round 2 (and half-time?)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: User vs Developer: Round 2 (and half-time?)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 15:53:08 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> "Christopher R. Maden" <address@hidden> writes:
>

>> That means that the users are most likely to speak when something is
>> wrong, and it is easy to mistake that for complaining.
>
> A sentence starting with "I am disappointed that ..." is not really hard
> to "mistake" for complaining.

Here is another example typical for user/developer interaction:
<URL:http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.general/68547/focus=68558>.

Naturally, the moment a developer mentions that a give-receive situation
does not need to be one-way only, the user is never heard of again.
This kind of "I could not possibly repay you enough for your efforts, so
I prefer not repaying at all" reaction is very common, rather the rule
than anything else.

I can't help finding that distasteful, and it does not get better by
getting messages from users being "disappointed" by the lack of
enthusiasm about doing even more work for them in the way the users
consider best.

--
David Kastrup