Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Replacement suggestions for Century Schoolbook?
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 09:49:57 +0200

Am 26.06.2013 02:10, schrieb Hilary Snaden:
On 24/06/13 03:20, Nick Payne wrote:
On 24/06/13 09:58, Urs Liska wrote:
Am 24.06.2013 00:32, schrieb Nick Payne:
How about considering Gentium Plus once the bold and bold italic faces
are available (at the moment Gentium Plus contains only regular and
italic faces).

Gentium Book Basic is pretty much the same weight as Lilypond's default
Century Schoolbook, but considerably tighter. Gentium Plus is tighter
again but slightly lighter in weight.

I tried Gentium Book Basic, but after a while something about it increasingly irritated me.
I had also tried it out. Gentium has a quite strong individual style, and it is a style that I just didn't like for my scores. Don't know if that's just a matter of personal taste or if text fonts in scores should generally be somewhat less obtrusive.
I've been using Linux Libertine for a couple of years or so now and I still like it. :) I very rarely use sans-serif, but when I do I use Linux Biolinum.
Ah, yes. I use it quite often for text, I definitely should check back with scores on that one.

Urs