Re: Thoughts about creating Stack Exchange page?

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Thoughts about creating Stack Exchange page?
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 09:57:12 -0700 (PDT)

janek.lilypond wrote
> Q&A sites like StackExchange are better for sharing Q&A knowledge than
> mailing lists because they allow to edit information, update it,
> remove duplicates, and make order.

I think this is a good point.  The mailing list is sufficient and fine, but
it's probably not optimal for organizing a Q&A-type knowledge base that (1)
makes it easy to find definitive and best answers to (often very common)
questions, and that (2) can be edited, improved, and evolve over time with
different versions of LilyPond, etc.

And given how some amount of Q&A is almost essential to learning LilyPond...

Anyway, for what it's worth, especially concerning the size restrictions on
StackExchange, there is also Shapado, a "stackoverflow-like app written in
ruby, mongomapper and mongodb," whose source code is under the GNU Affero
General Public License (AGPLv3):

Main site:
http://shapado.com/

Source code repository:
https://gitorious.org/shapado

Apparently it allows you to answer by email: "You can use Shapado without
leaving your favorite mail client, just subscribe to people or tag and you
will receive your question by mail so you can just answer from there."

I mention it just for the record as another option, not to suggest that it
should be used or not (I don't know that much about it in any case).

Best to all,
-Paul