Re: [openlilylib] Discuss restructuring

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: [openlilylib] Discuss restructuring
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2014 08:14:10 -0700 (PDT)

Uns Liska wrote
> Am 03.07.2014 19:50, schrieb Paul Morris:
>> Hi Urs,  This is looking like an improvement to me.  Here's a thought.
>> If
>> the emphasis is on include-ability, what about just having all the
>> include
>> files at the same level in the "Library" directory, without needing to
>> categorize them by putting them in different directories by topic?  Then
>> you
>> could just do \include "filename.ily" without having to remember what
>> category directory a file is in.  (Maybe stylesheets still gets a
>> directory
>> since they are a clear case of a different kind of file with a specific
>> usage?)
>
> This is definitely something we should discuss. Although I actually like
> having a category path explicitly written in the input file.

You could always just add the category with a comment:

  \include "file-name.ily" % category-name

;-)
</kidding>

Uns Liska wrote
> And: at least Frescobaldi can show you the available categories through
> autocompletion (at least after entering the start of the _first_ folder
> name).

True, but you still have to know which category the file is in, and there
will probably always be files that might be in more than one.

Uns Liska wrote
> This is probably the way to go anyway. Actually I had this in mind since
> the first steps with the repository. I'd like to have a script that
> walks through the whole library and generates documentation from the
> metadata stored in the files. And just recently I realized that the Wiki
> is the place for this to go. This script would then create the TOC,
> together with some short descriptions of the categories, and
> additionally it could create a detail page for each snippet/item, using
> its example file to create png images.

This sounds good!  Although not trivial to do.  You could list each item by
category and/or by tags from the metadata.  The wiki could be the place for
this, or even a website (openlilylib.org) outside of github, with links to
the files on github.  (A website might offer easier automated page
generation (?), more flexibility, and no one would be tempted to manually
edit the page like on the wiki.)

One nice thing about decoupling the actual location of the files (their
include path) from the categories/tags/navigation structure, is that you can
change the latter as needed as the library changes and matures, without
breaking compatibility with existing files that are already using the
library.

Cheers,
-Paul