Re: Use of Stackoverflow for Question/Answer forum

From: Rob Torop
Subject: Re: Use of Stackoverflow for Question/Answer forum
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 14:43:55 +0000

This is an interesting discussion.  From the point of view of functionality, I agree with the "Stack Overflow" approach.  I find it hard to agree that one really can get as much out of the content that's been posted if it's shared in email digest form.  Certainly we have many powerful tools at our disposal to search and then sift through results, but at some point one has to concede that some newer ideas are pretty good.   No one wants to use archie to search for files anymore.

I can see that one might object to the fact that stackoverflow exists to "monetize" the comments.  That is, a community of people (e.g. java programmers) uses it in exchange for seeing ads and perhaps having their posts used in some other way (not that I'm aware of this happening).  While one may or may not agree with this view, it ought not to be trivialized.  In this case, lilypond could have its own forum, based on GPL software like phpBB.